In the midst of all the chaos, I was itching to do some baking but since I didn't really have the time to try anything fancier, I turned to this Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake which is one of my husband's favourites, really moist and fluffy. After all,nothing beats the classics.
BTW, pineapples always remind me of the amazing cruise trip that we took last year around the same time. It's nice to think of the tropical sun and sand in this snowy weather.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Ingredients: (For one 8 or 9 inch cake)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 3 tablespoons cut into small pieces
1 2/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
6-7 thin rounds of canned pineapple
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream 6 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
3) Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.
4) Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined.
5) Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a heavy pan and heat over medium until beginning to liquefy, then stir with a wooden spoon until completely melted and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, stir to incorporate.
6) Place a pineapple round in centre of your 8 or 9 inch cake pan. Arrange remaining rounds in a circle around centre slice. Place a halved cherry in the middle of each round.
7) Carefully spoon batter over pineapples in pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge of cake, then carefully invert onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I am linking this recipe to the following events :Taste of the Tropics hosted by Chef Mireille
Bake Fest #16 guest hosted by My Cook Book and started by Cooks Joy
CWL-Spouse hosted by Hema's Adugemane